Feeling anxious, panicky and out of control? About 65% of patients who come into my office report that they suffer with anxiety and panic attacks. When you feel stressed, your body produces a burst of fight or flight hormones. This sudden burst of hormones can lead to problems with breathing, chest pain, dizziness, trembling, sweating, nausea, or a feeling like you are losing your mind.
Tips for Naturally Reducing Anxiety:
- Research has shown that taking adaptogenic herbs such as Ashwaghanda, Bacopa or Holy Basil helps to balance flight or flight hormones. Adaptogenic herbs have a balancing effect. If the levels of stress hormones are too high, an adaptogenic herb lowers it. Adaptogenic herbs will also elevate hormone levels if the levels are too low.
- L-Theanine is an amino acid that is necessary for the production of GABA ( a brain chemical the brings about relaxation and keeps your nerves calm).
- 5-HTP (5-Hydroxytryptophan) is an amino acid that is converted to the brain chemical serotonin. Serotonin is a calming brain chemical. At night, serotonin converts to melatonin, the hormone that is necessary for restful sleep.
- Magnesium deficiency is one of the leading causes of nervousness and insomnia.
- Vitamin B complex is necessary for the production of serotonin and is essential for calming nervousness.
- Research has shown that taking 1-2 grams of EPA/DHA fish oil can help stabilize moods and reduce anxiety.
- Poor diet, caffeinated drinks such as coffee and soda, and neurotoxins such as aspartame, MSG, artificial coloring and artificial flavoring can cause imbalances in the excitatory brain chemicals. Production of these chemicals can cause excitation in the nervous system and worsen symptoms of panic and anxiety. . It is important to read labels, reduce or eliminate caffeine and eliminate aspartame, MSG, food additives and food coloring from your diet.
- Foods high in sugar and refined flour and lead to fluctuations in blood sugar and increase anxiety.
Taking a combination of natural supplements, eating a healthy diet and getting adequate rest and exercise will help you naturally overcome panic and anxiety.