Naturopath & Holistic Doctor San Diego Dr. Gaila Mackenzie-Strawn MS,DC, CTN In 1979, I made a life changing decision. Having suffering with painful abdominal pain since the age of two,Read more
A patient suffering with a headache, nausea, dizziness and flu like symptoms recently came into my office. She brought in a scented candle that she had burned throughout the night. Within a few minutes of taking the candle out of the bag, I began to experience a headache.
An EPA study found that potentially hazardous chemicals are commonly used in synthetically scented candles, including acetone, toluene, benzene and others. These chemicals can cause headache, asthma, dizziness, nausea, fatigue and drowsiness and can cause damage to the brain, lung and central nervous system.
The most health-friendly candles are made with either soy or beeswax. The safest way to have a wonderful scent in your home and keep everyone healthy is to either buy organic candles or diffuse organic essential oils.