What Causes Menstrual Cramps?
- Inflammatory foods, nutritional deficiencies, hormonal imbalances and stress are the major culprits causing menstrual cramps.
- The fat in dairy products, red meat and processed foods leads to the production of chemicals called prostaglandins.
- Prostaglandins are the chemicals that cause uterine contractions and menstrual cramping
- Stress releases excessive amounts of the hormone cortisol
- High levels of cortisol can cause excessive estrogen retention and lower progesterone levels
- Excessive estrogen retention and inadequate progesterone can cause painful cramping
- Low levels of magnesium leads to fluid retention and menstrual pain
- Inadequate intake of omega-3 fatty acids (fish & fish oils) can lead to increased production of inflammatory prostaglandins in the system
What To Do:
- Take 200- 300 mg. of magnesium daily to prevent water retention and cramping
- Take EPA/DHA omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin D and eat fatty fish to help decrease the levels of inflammatory prostaglandins
- Apply natural, plant based progesterone cream on your stomach or lower abdominal area from day 14 (ovulation) of your cycle through menses
- Increase your consumption of leafy greens to increase your levels of magnesium and other essential vitamins and minerals
- Taking 250 mg. of ginger powder 4 times a day for 3 days from the start of the menstrual period was shown to be as effective as ibuprofen in a double blind study done in 2009
- Chaste berry (Vitex) is an herb that has been shown to raise progesterone levels and ease menstrual cramps
- Eliminate dairy products, red meats and chemically altered fats such as peanut oil, canola oil, soybean oil, or margarine, as the fats in these foods are high in the chemicals that cause inflammation and cramping
- Clary Sage essential oil (get organic) helps regulate estrogen and is an antispasmodic. Rubbing is on the lower abdomen, when pain starts has been shown to work as well as ibuprofen or acetaminophen
Cleaning up your diet is key to eliminating your menstrual cramps. I have helped thousands of patients over the past 30 + year get rid of cramps by having them eliminate dairy products, red meats and bad fats. It is also important to identify and eliminate allergens from your diet, as allergens cause inflammation and pain in the body. Acupressure Allergy Elimination (AAR) technique is a safe, proven, natural treatment for allergies. Please feel feel to email me at email@example.com with any comments or questions.